This installation overview provides guidance for handling, installation, finishing and after care maintenance of Thermablok® Aerogel Insulation products (please choose an installation type for area specific guidance).
Choose an Installation Type
- Establish if a fully breathable, semi-breathable or non-breathable system is required before installation. This is simply determined by the vapour permeability of the substrate not which to be
- Thermablok Aerogel ThermaSlim IFI Impact Panels should be cut using a skill saw however can be cut using a handsaw if needed with the aide of an additional board behind the foil encapsulation to compress the Aerogel insulation to prevent tearing. All cuts can be easily taped with a foil tape as provided. The material can be dusty, and it is recommended that standard levels of PPE are observed with gloves, safety glasses and dust mask be worn when handling all materials.
- Plan and Coordinate the thermal bridging barrier insulation work to minimize the generation of off-cuts and waste.
- Thermablok Aerogel products should be fitted onto a level, clean and prepared subfloor which is good condition and in accordance with good practice. Repair and treat unsound areas prior to proceeding. Any damaged areas should be prepared to offer a continual and even contact surface area.
- It is also advisable and seen as good practice to treat all existing surfaces with an anti microbial surface wash treatment to eliminate all mould spores.
- Thermablok Aerogel ThermaSlim IFI Impact Panels should be installed with a staggered junction. Tightly abut the panels to each other and tape over the joins with a high grade foil tape as provided.
- Thermablok Aerogel ThermaSlim IFI Impact Panels can be cut as detailed above to create a full insulation layer up to the perimeter of the floor area, again following the principle of a staggered junction. As an additional measure and if tolerances allow, a small strip of Thermablok Aerogel Blanket (encapsulated) or ThermaSlim IFI Panel can be installed vertically at the perimeter behind the skirting board to further increase the thermal resistance at the wall / floor junction.
- Once the installation is finished, check the area is completely covered, level and tape jointed. At this point the chosen floor finish can be installed. Seek guidance from the individual manufacturers of the chosen floor finish to establish correct procedure of installation.